Amid controversies over attendance boundaries, construction delays, and even the name of the school, Desert Ridge Middle School opened September 2, 1997, two weeks after other APS schools started the 1997-1998 school year. Nearly 650 students were enrolled in the first year; now our student enrollment is close to 1100. Sixty-two staff members opened the school; now over 120 staff members work at DRMS. Twenty years later, two of the original staff members are still working at Desert Ridge.
In 2003, Phase II of DRMS was completed, adding 18 classrooms, two science labs, two computer labs, the mini-gym and weight room, an adaptive PE classroom, office and storage rooms, and a remodeled classroom for keyboarding.
- School Colors: Hunter Green & Navy Blue
- Mascot: Diamondback Rattle Snake
- Vision Statement: Excellence and opportunity for each learner.
- Traffic will split into two lanes after entering campus from Green Arbor.
- If you are dropping off/picking up a 6th grader (even if you have a 7th or 8th grader in the car) please use the upper parking lot lane. All other vehicles will drop off in the lower lane.
- Pull as far forward as you can in the Green Zone before allowing your student(s) to exit from the passenger side. Do not let students out in the Red Zone.
- Please try to avoid parking in the adjacent neighborhoods. Please do not block driveways or crosswalks.
What Our Parent's Think
Desert Ridge is a welcoming place where the culture of responsibility and respect is worked on every day. We love our school!
Our 4th child is attending Desert Ridge this year. The teachers are exceptional! They have challenged my students and given them the support needed to succeed.
"A school is just a building unless there are exceptional things going on inside!" We have our second child at Desert Ridge and could not be happier! The teachers are DRMS are fantastic! They are passionate about the success of their students. They care about them not only as students but as people. We’ve even had middle school teachers come watch our children compete at the high school level in different events. They found things in our kids we did not know existed…like “your son is an exceptional writer”…that teacher gave him the confidence he needed to excel in that area and many others. We are so thankful for each one of them!!! Parent Involvement…DRMS has an extremely supportive parent volunteer base. Every day at least 8-10 parents are at the school volunteering in different areas. Parents put together game nights, luncheons or teachers, holiday in a box donations and more.
All three of my kids have attended Desert Ridge. We have experienced teachers who are very excited about and capable of teaching kids. I love the website - I can find pretty much anything I need to know there, and it is updated frequently.